Thursday, June 2, 2011

Brownies to the Rescue!

I love brownies.  Brownies seem to make the world right again, even when you think the world is all wrong.  They can be chewy, gooey, cake-like, soft, dense, fluffy, iced or not, or have nuts in them or not.  For some reason when you think you are in the snottiest, crankiest mood and no one else understands, the pan of brownies seems to understand.  (They also can make your hips understand that too many aren't good for you, but they understand nonetheless.)

Take this evening for instance, things are going okay for me in my life, but suddenly that instant of female mood swing hits and suddenly...wham! You find yourself in the middle of a personal upset over something ridiculous, or maybe it was nothing at all!   So I go to the kitchen and haul out my favorite all time brownie recipe.  I don't know where it came from, I don't know when I found it, but I've had it for years and years and it always brings comfort in those moments in life when you know the brownie will solve all your problems.

My favorite way to serve these is with walnuts in them (although some prefer to leave them out).  Even a few days later (if they last that long) they remain moist and chewy and divine.  Make them some night when you need that moment of brownie heaven to calm your nerves...or you just want an easy treat to serve to company!

~Sally


Sally's Favorite Brownies

1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 c. white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 c. cocoa
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c. walnuts, optional (but recommended)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Use an 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan, greased

1. Put all ingredients in a bowl, mix well. 
2. Pour into the greased pan and spread around evenly.
3. Bake 30-35 minutes or until they begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment