Sunday, November 12, 2017

7 Day Cabbage Soup Diet

Good morning internet!

I'm legitimately one of the worst bloggers in existence since I take long lapses between posts.   However, I am still here, healthy and kicking! 

I have been given orders by my endocrinologist to drop some weight.  By medical standards, I am a very healthy 35 year old (despite having no thyroid, dealing with those annoying problems, and asthma) but I am overweight.  By "the book" standards - obese.  Ya, ya, story of my life.  My doctor told me that although I am very healthy at this point, my weight will do nothing but cause me further health problems as I age. He doesn't beat around the bush, this guy.  We have a very positive, open, frank discussion about it.  That was in July.  I have been battling between getting serious and eating peppermint fudge crackle ice cream since then.  I am finally ready.

In Sept 2014, my honey and I both got serious about our fat asses, and made a major lifestyle change.  We stopped eating out, stopped eating processed foods and junk foods.  We counted calories, exercised, and still had a cheat meal once a week (because let's face it - I would probably shrivel up and die without pizza once in a while).  By April 2015 we had both dropped a whooping 45lbs each.  I legit did not recognize my face in the mirror sometimes. 

Okay so fast forward 2 years.  We moved across the country, and all the lifestyle habits were replaced by the vast multitude of every kind of every cuisine we didn't have access too in our rural past dwellings. I have literally eaten so much shawarma, I should definitely own shares some where. But it's time to get serious.

So every fall, for several years, I have a craving for this incredibly effective (albeit not for everyone) cabbage soup diet.  It is basically controlled clean eating for 7 days, with rules about what to eat on each day.  You eat until you are stuffed.  You do not walk around starving on this diet.  But it is only for 7 days and not meant to be continued longer.  It is like an amazing detox after holiday pigging your guts out, or an awesome kick starter for long term lifestyle changes.  The premise is that you eat, following the instructions, and drop about 10lbs in a week.

Here is the rules:

Day 1 - eat only fruits (no bananas) and 2-3 bowls of soup
Day 2 - Start the day with a baked potato, eat only vegetables today (no peas, beans or corn) and soup
Day 3 - Eat fruits and veggies today (again no bananas or starchy veg) and soup
Day 4 - Eat 6-8 bananas and unlimited skim milk.  Also soup
Day 5 - Eat only tomatoes (6-8) and 10-20oz of fish, chicken or turkey.  Don't forget soup
Day 6 - Eat only beef (as much as you desire) and veggies (no starchy veg) and soup.
Day 7 - Eat only fruits, veggies and soup (repeat of day 3)

Eat as much soup as you'd like every day.  Drink 8 glasses of water or more everyday.  Tea, Coffee and unsweetened cranberry juice is permitted.

Here is the soup (**Spoiler alert - it's actually delicious and filling!!**)

Cabbage Soup Diet:
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 head of cabbage
1 cup celery
1 cup onion
1 cup carrots
1 bell pepper
2-3 cloves of garlic
4 cups chicken broth
14 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
few shakes of black pepper
1/2 tsp salt (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
**Chop all veggies into bite size pieces**
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat
Add celery, onion, bell pepper and carrots.
Saute until slightly tender
Stir in garlic
Pour in chicken broth
Stir in tomatoes and cabbage
Bring to a boil and reduce heat
Cook until cabbage is tender
Stir in spices
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed
Serve and enjoy.

Side note - I let mine simmer for 30-60 mins.  Then let cool on the counter before putting in an airtight container in the fridge.  This amount will stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days.  You will probably need to make this recipe again half way thru the week.  

So today, it has begun.  I'll blog later tonight about my progress today.  For any further info, you can check out cabbagesoupdiet.com or there is another blog site by an awesome lady who calls it WonderSoup.  Her website can be found by googling cabbage soup diet divascancook.

Ta for now!

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment