Tuesday, September 6, 2016

One Last Hurrah...

So tomorrow I start this low iodine diet.  And cease my meds for 2 weeks....this is me completely unimpressed.  But it is necessary. So I will do it to a 110% success rate.

What is involved in a low iodine diet you may be wondering? Here is a short list of things I CAN NOT eat:

Salt, Sea salt, ALL dairy including but not limited to milk, butter, yogurt, ice cream and cheese, soy, whey, casein, anything6t with red dye #3, fish and seafood, carrageen, all cured meat such as ham, bacon, corned beef, lox, weiners and lunchmeats, tofu, egg yolks, frozen peas, mayo, ALL CHOCOLATE, and potato skin.

Let's put it this way, my honey and I went to the grocery store tonight and you wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of food and isles you skip when you can't have ANY of the above listed.  I can't even eat flash frozen chicken breasts because they are soaked in soy and salt before the flash freeze(which sounds even grosser typed out and as a rule we always buy fresh....just throwin that out there ) And almost EVERY product has salt and/or milk products.  As does every single condiment, salad dressing and dip.  Yea I even have to make my own salad dressing from oil and vinegar.

So I bought plain rice cakes (because all the flavored ones have....you guessed it - salt), mini wheats (which are just wheat and icing sugar....strange but acurate) and a myriad of fruits, vegetables and fresh chicken breast.

It's not as bad as it seems and I think it's going to turn out to be quite a health journey because we skipped over basically every Isle in the grocery store.
But in the spirit of change honey and I decided to use this as an opportunity to get back on the healthy train.  We also bought McDonalds and sugary soda. Does that count as life balance??

Tomorrow I begin life without thyroid hormones for 2 weeks and a strange diet which is basically like strict vegan plus chicken.  Bring on the carrot sticks!!  I got this!!!

~Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment