Saturday, September 17, 2016

RAI - What, How and Why??

I said I would talk more about the treatment I'm getting.  It's called "RadioActive Iodine Therapy" or RAI for short.

The basics are I take a radioactive iodine pill and am isolated for 7 days but there is alot more to it.  I took some information off the website of the hospital I'll be treated at and this is what it has to say.

First what is RAI?

Like other forms of radiation therapy, RAI treatment involves the use of radiation to destroy cancerous tissue. In RAI treatment, the purpose is to destroy any remaining thyroid tissue following surgery or to treat residual or recurrent disease. This is a unique treatment for differentiated forms of thyroid cancer (papillary and follicular). Instead of using an external radiation beam, with RAI treatment, the patient ingests a pill containing a prescribed dose of a radioactive form of iodine. The dosage of RAI is determined by your Endocrinologist based on many factors, such as hormone levels, extent of disease, etc.

How does RAI work?

Radioactive iodine emits two types of radiation called "beta particles" and "gamma rays". The beta particles, which travel only a few millimeters in tissue, irradiate and destroy the thyroid or thyroid cancer tissue. The gamma rays travel a much greater distance and can be used to image the distribution of the radioactive iodine within your body.

That's the science behind it all.  The treatment costs thousands of dollars to perform (yes! even in Canada) and although it is covered under my wonderful country's healthcare system, it is not a treatment they hand out to just anyone.

Besides just showing up to the hospital for the treatment I have had to go off my meds for 2 weeks (I'm on day 11) to force my body to go extreme hypothyroid.  I also had to do a low iodine diet (see the many other posts about that) to starve any remaining thyroid cells in my body of iodine, which the thyroid craves.   I also go for bloodwork 2 days prior to treatment to ensure my body responded properly to all the above.

I will then spend 3 days (2 nights) in hospital in isolation in the nuclear medicine department.  They will release after 3 days ONLY if my radioactive levels are below a certain number.  They said almost everyone is released after the 3 days.  Then I will do an additional 5 days in isolation at home.  There is a huge series of guidelines, distance I must maintain from adults children and pets and time limits on visits.  Then I have a checklist of how to clean up behind myself when I'm all done isolation.  All of the precautions is to limit the amount of radiation emitted to others.

2 days after I come home I go back for a full body scan to ensure that all remaining thyroid cells (which may or may not be cancerous) have been iradicated from my body. 

Now WHY did they decide to give me this treatment?

Let me explain.  Firstly, because I had thyroid cancer...which doesn't necessarily mean you need this treatment.  But I had 5 areas of thyroid cancer in one small butterfly shaped gland.  That is a good reason.  If there had of been one small spot I probably wouldn't have needed this.  5 areas means they could have missed a cell or two.  After all cells are microscopic.

So I have been a little grouchy here or there but have been dealing with this with the utmost seriousness.  My guidelines only specify that I can eat all fruits and veggies except frozen peas and potato skin.  I went so far as to do further research into fruits and vegetables with high iodine count and have also avoided spinach, strawberries, cranberries, sweet potato and garlic. I want to make the most out of this treatment and not have to repeat it if at all possible. 

I was REALLY tired this morning. In fact I flip flopped around my bed until noon.  When I got up, I showered, took the dog outside, and put my chicken stew on and made more muffins but with apples and cinnamon instead of blueberries.

More energy than I thought I had today! But I'm tired. My body is so tired.  It's definitely feeling the lack of thyroid hormone.  And my allergies were driving me crazy and of course my allergy meds contain lactose so I'm not taking them.  But I feel okay now...just tired.  Drained of energy.

Totally to be expected.  There is actually a long list of things that you could experience going into forced hypothyroidism, none of which sound very pleasant.  Apparently there is some very worse side effects to expect when receiving RAI, namely, horrible nausea, a burning sensation in your throat, and your salvatory glands dry up and you're required to suck on sour candies up to 5 times a day to restore them.  UGH.

My endocrinologist said this treatment "should be the last of it for you".  I sure hope so.  He comes highly recommended as one of the best endocrinologists in the city...so far I like and trust him.  He was straight with me when I had questions and friendly enough.  He also returned my phone call promptly when I had questions I thought of later. 

So because this all a little heavy I had to make light of it somehow to keep my head above water so I decided I will be like Spiderman or Hulk with radioactive blood and all.  I've been humming the Spiderman theme song for a few weeks and it helps me remember this whole ordeal is 3 weeks out of my life verses the alternative of thyroid cancer remaining in my body. I am Spider Chick!!

I got this! Also my stew is almost done and I can NOT wait to tell you about it later!

..."spider chick, spider chick, does whatever a spider chick does"...

~Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment